Primary School Highlights
As the year draws to a close, it is time to look back on the wonderful year we have had at Genesis, especially in our Primary school. Our students and staff continuously amaze me, not just with their exceptional results across sporting, artistic and academic endeavours, but also, and perhaps more importantly, with the dedication to training and studying, humility, and selflessness with which they do this. Our Genesis students consistently perform at the highest levels in all of these areas, within our culture of high expectations, and now is the time to rest and unwind as we head into the holiday season.
2020 has been a year like no other with, having to not only negotiate the impositions of a global pandemic, but also re-designing how we learn and make adjustments to almost everything in College life. The learning however has been enormous, and as teachers we have never had to learn so much so fast! The great thing about this is that Genesis staff have adapted quickly and we are purposefully using the things we have learnt, to make education only better into the future.
Covering all of this of course, is our Christian culture; through which we observe and design everything, and ultimately understand learning and our world. With the help of God, and seeking his will in all things, 2021 will be another great year in the Genesis community.
Each year some staff move on from Genesis, and we are beholden to thank them for their work at the College
- Deb Hey – has been an integral staff member of the College for 29 years. Mrs Hey was one of the first few teachers to ever work at Genesis, and commenced her first classes out of the back of Bray Park Community Church hall, well before any of the Genesis you see today was built. Mrs Hey also wrote our College Anthem, as well as numerous other things which have contributed to the Genesis we see today. We will formally farewell Deb at our staff luncheon this year, however we want to publicly thank and acknowledge Deb, upon her retirement, and wish her God’s richest blessings for the next season of her life.
- Amelia Wooderson – has been teaching in Prep this year, and will be moving to the southside of Brisbane for 2021.
- Deanna Hatcher – will be moving to another private school on the Sunshine Coast which is much closer to home for her.
2021 Staff Appointments
We have been very blessed with the high quality of staff who desire to work at Genesis, and we are excited to announce the following appointments for next year.
- Grace Lin – will be joining the Prep team. Grace comes to us with significant experience in Christian Schools in Melbourne and Brisbane. Grace describes herself as a passionate educator with a desire to provide a safe, secure and nurturing learning environment for any students in her classroom. We’re so glad to be welcoming Grace to our Genesis family.
- Zac Stirling – will be joining the Year 1 team. Zac comes to us with previous experience in both state and Christian schools. Zac aims to create fun and engaging units of work, making all of his lessons interactive and informative. He encourages his students to reflect God’s love to others, utilise their unique strengths and to try their best to serve others. Prior to his teaching career, Zac was a mechanical draftsman and industrial designer, therefore his particular skills benefit his teaching, particularly in the areas of STEAM. Visual art, numeracy and digital technologies. We are so happy as well, to be welcoming one of the rarest species, a male role model to the Lower Primary School.
We’re looking forward to a great 2021.
Primary Colours Assembly
Recently we conducted our Primary Sports and Colours Co-Curricular Awards which combine Sport, Cultural and Service Awards. We have had a considerable number of students achieving these awards and this is a very healthy sign of a growing program and also an expanding commitment to activities that the College offers beyond the classroom.
Through the Colours system, we not only recognise the efforts of many students but also demonstrate to all the many and varied ways of contributing to our College life. By doing so, students gain so much more fulfilment, a sense of worth and a sense of service and well-being, and these attributes are so necessary for a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
The Colours Scheme provides students with a small incentive to be involved in activities beyond the classroom. Students accumulate colour points varying on the commitment required for training or involvement. All activities are College based and the Colours system operates across the whole College with a small roll over of points from Primary into Secondary. Both systems are similar in nature with the end goal for Primary, a Gold award and in Secondary School, full colours, worn on the College blazer.
Primary Celebration Services
The last two weeks of school saw our annual Primary Celebration services for Prep, Year 1&2, Year 3&4, and Year 5&6. These services were a fine demonstration of student achievements throughout the year. One particular aspect of the P-4 services special to Genesis is the individual citations. At Genesis, we believe that every student is special in God’s eyes, and brings their own unique skills and talents to make our school a better place. Therefore, we don’t just celebrate academic, sporting and cultural achievements, but other aspects of life such as citizenship and character in every student.
I will however give special mention below to our Major award winners from Year 6, as they represent the pinnacle of Primary school achievement.
- Most Valuable Contribution – Upper Primary Choir – 2-way tie – Samantha C/Rachael N
- Most Valuable Contribution – Primary Concert Band – Sianna W
- Most Valuable Contribution – Primary Strings Ensemble – Maya L
- Most Valuable Contribution – Guitar Ensemble – Olivia Y
- Most Valuable Contribution – Brass Band – Joseph A
- Most Valuable Contribution – Flute Choir – Tessa J
- Susan Hay Memorial 2nd Runner Up to Best and Fairest Girl – 2-way tie – Isabella J/Emily P
- Susan Hay Memorial 2nd Runner Up to Best and Fairest Boy – 3-way tie – Nicolas A/Owen H/Manie VT
- Susan Hay Memorial Runner Up to Best and Fairest Boy – Xavier CB
- Susan Hay Memorial Runner Up to Best and Fairest Girl – Olivia Y
- Susan Hay Memorial Best and Fairest Boy – Ralph N
- Susan Hay Memorial Best and Fairest Girl – Ella P
- Christian Citizenship Award – Male – Prosper M
- Christian Citizenship Award – Female – Jemimah D
- Year 6 Runner Up to Dux – Alice B
- Year 6 Dux – Elijah N
Head of School – Primary